Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Rules

Wait a minute, don't scream.

No, no, "don't scream," I said!

If you're not clear on just how to do Friday Flash Fiction or just what the rules are, shouting isn't going to get you anywhere, Zombie Alanis...



...here are the rules that you, you, oughta know:

You will send in your suggestion for starter sentences anytime during the week up to 12:00 AM PST on Friday.

If your sentence is not chosen and you feel it is too wonderful not to be chosen, you can send it in again the next week.

You will write an anecdote, short story, or novel length prose poem beginning with that Friday's starter sentence.

You will add comments to that post indicating your desire to participate and the completion of your story.

You may join in at any time prior to the deadline. You will display your story as a post on your own blog and it will be done by Tuesday 9:00 AM PST.

Now, on top of JJ's rules, please note that I would appreciate that you list in the comment section that you have finished your story. It makes it easier to retrieve the link and for everyone else to read the story. Especially if you've done multiple posts for that day, because then your link to the story won't be in the author's column anymore.

I will replay this blog's original post to help fill in any additional blanks-

A wise and wonderful, though sometime curmudgeonly man in Texas started something wonderful a few years back. He put together a little thing Friday Flash Fiction, in which he would provide the starter sentence on Friday morning and if you so chose, you would come up with a short story or a poem by the following Monday morning.

All you had to do was say that you wanted participate in the "comment section" and then provide a link back to your story after it was done and posted on your blog. To say that this had changed my writing was an understatement. This "Friday Flash Fiction" taught me writing discipline and it changed how I approached writing.

As with the majority of bloggers,
JJ gave up blogging and I know that I've almost done the same more times than I can count. Still, I'd like to continue on the Friday Flash Fiction to give everyone else the same opportunity I had, to find their writing voices and the venue for those voices to be heard.

So Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Friday Flash Fiction. Find your inner Bukowski, your hidden Joyce Carol Oates, and the Hammett inside of you that is waiting to bubble to the surface. Make you and everyone else proud, or at least have great time doing it.

Now, I've changed the date and times to accommodate, as well as the length requirements of the poem, yet everything else remains the same.

Unlike some others on the Internet, I am not doing this to profit off of someone else's idea. You don't see me directly linking this back to my blog or any of the various things that I am involved with, and there are no banner ads.

This is strictly for you, the writer, to find your voice.

Addendum- Let's try not to use songs or other people's stories unless they are pretty much ingrained in our popular culture and language. It would not be cool if we had an outstanding session that had to be pulled, because some overzealous lawyer decided that they have to prove to a music corporation or publisher that they are actually working, instead of just collecting a check.